Tuesday 18 December 2012

Two Bite Butter Tarts

I always knew butter tarts were a Canadian treat but having done a little reading on the double ya double ya double ya, I found out they are actually a northern Ontario delicacy - like me!  Well, I don't know about the delicacy part (I'm more of a bull in a china shop) but I am a northern girl.  With the pastry holding all of that sugary goodness, they're pretty much a cup full of sugar.  I love it!  Sugar!  My eyes actually get bigger and spin like a cartoon character's.  This is where I'd insert a picture with my eyes photoshopped to look like spinning whirls but I don't know how to do that.  Use that old fashioned imagination and instead look at these tarts.


I have always made these using a recipe that calls for cream but I found this one on Canadian Living (where better to look!)

Before I even got started I was confused (save your jokes): How did I get mini butter tarts last year with a full sized muffin tin?  Then I remembered I only lined the pastry about half way up the sides.


I also took the easy route and bought ready made pastry.   Anything to make life that little bit easier.  I did, however think that the block pastry and ready rolled (yes, they even roll it out for you) were the same price.  Turns out they charge you that little bit extra for the privilege - something I could have done myself.


Anyway, whether you make your own pastry (show off), buy it or even buy it ready rolled, these tarts turn out amazingly gooey and sweet.  I know this because I tried about 3 before putting them in a tin and locking them away in the freezer until Christmas.  Because we haven't (not even once) been in the freezer for a few cheeky treats.  Not. At. All.  I swear!

Butter Tarts - adapted from Canadian Living

Ingredients

For the pastry:
Buy ready-made pastry :)

For the filling:
1/2 cup packed  brown sugar 
1/2 cup golden syrup 
1 egg 
2 tablespoon butter, softened 
1 teaspoon vanilla 
1 teaspoon vinegar 
1 pinch salt 
1/4 cup raisins and/or chopped walnuts

1. Mix sugar, syrup, butter, vinegar, egg and vanilla in a bowl until well blended and set aside.

2. Roll out pastry (dead easy if you buy the pre-rolled stuff! I so cheated on this one)

3. Cut out circles with a cookie cutter or a glass large enough to cover the muffin tin cups and fit each one in the bottom of the cup, lightly pressing into shape.

4. Drop a few raisins and chopped nuts into the pastry cups before filling 3/4 of the way full with syrup filling.

5. Bake at 230 degrees Celsius for between 12-15 minutes.  Filling will bubble and pastry should be golden.  Cool for one minute and transfer to a wire rack carefully taking each tart out of the muffin tin with a spatula so as not to break. 

6. Taste test the ones that break or look wonky and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis