Monday 10 December 2012

Orange and Cranberry Chocolate Mousse

Last week I received a little request from a friend.  Could I write about the chocolate mousse she'd had at my house because she wanted to make it over the holidays.  I had made a simple (like 2 ingredient simple) hazelnut chocolate mousse for her but since she wanted to make it over the Christmas holidays, I thought I would Chrismasfy - Christmassify - Chris... ugh make it taste like Christmas?


Tesco is selling their own version of various flavoured chocolate spread so last week I picked up the orange flavour.  It's like a smooth Terry's Chocolate Orange.  Very dangerous because I could eat it by the spoonful.   I haven't.  Yet.

I thought it might go nicely paired with cranberries in some way so I bought some fresh ones and got them on the stove.  Very simple - I put equal parts cranberries and sugar (about 150 grams), a spoonful of marmalade and a splash of water into a pot and brought it to a boil.  Once the cranberries began to split, I turned the gas down and simmered for about 10 minutes.  In the meantime, I started on the mousse.  Last time I made this I melted the chocolate spread in the microwave, whipped the cream and then folded both together.  This time I tried blending both ingredients in a bowl, and so I put a half cup of orange flavoured chocolate spread and a cup of whipping cream and blended!  Worked like a charm!  When the cranberries were ready, I scooped out a small amount and allowed it to cool before putting a little in the bottom of each glass, then poured the chocolate mousse on top.  Allow it to chill for at least four hours or overnight.




I would have garnished this with a slice of chocolate orange but then I would have had to eat it all so I went with fresh.  You could use candied orange slices too.  I used martini glasses but shot glasses would work well to include this in a little dessert buffet.


The garland in the photo should tell you that I have spent the last couple of days turning my house into Santa's Grotto.  And everytime I think I've finished, I find something else to sprinkle a little Christmas magic on ie: tinsel and glitter.  Better get cracking on the rest of that baking!

1 comment:

ShareThis