Tuesday 4 December 2012

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup

I had big plans to make a traditional chicken noodle soup with carrots and celery and lovely egg noodles with my homemade stock but while scanning the reduced section of the grocery store I saw grated carrots, red cabbage, bean sprouts and vermicelli rice noodles all for a few pence each (items which are generally cheap anyway). I already had spinach leaves, garlic and a red chili at home so I grabbed the sale items, some ginger and a few large flat mushrooms and made my way back home to get everything in a pot and into my belly asap!



First, I put the stock on to boil:
Half litre of homemade chicken stock
1 cup of water
A splash of fish sauce
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1/4 cup of sweet chili sauce
About a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger

While the stock made it's way to a boil, I prepped the veg (which mostly involved taking a few handfuls out of plastic bags).



Once the stock was boiling, I turned off the heat, tossed in the veg, a handful each of shredded chicken and noodles and stuck the lid on until the veg wilted slightly (about 2-3 minutes). I gave everything a quick stir and dished out a great big portion into a bowl.  This made enough for two but what's usually enough for two is only enough pour moi - yes, I ate it all.  And it was just what the doctor ordered! I got my "5 a day" and then some! Starve a fever, feed a cold as the saying goes and I fed it - I fed that cold good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis