Thursday 20 December 2012

A Cocktail To Toast My Mother

It's the mom's birthday today (HBD Ma!) and in honour of her I have prepared this festive cocktail.  Poinsettias are her favourite so when I found this recipe on Mix That Drink I had to give it a try.  It's just like they describe; easy to drink and down right festive.  Not particularly birthday-esk but that's what happens when you're born in December.

This is all you need.  They call for a chilled champagne flute (and well, champagne but I went with half price £5.99 Prosecco, we'll save the Moet for New Year's) but since I don't have any, I used this beautiful crystal martini glass (only the best for my mom - and since I skimped on the champers...)

Anyway, a half a shot of Cointreau, 3 shots of cranberry juice topped off with champagne Prosecco and as Gino D'Campo says, "Da job is done!"



When I was visiting the mom in October I bought her a charm for the bracelet I bought her last Christmas.  I hid it in her bottom dresser drawer and about a week later I got a phone call: "Did you hide a charm in my dresser?"  Me: "Uh Happy Birthday...In November"  And before she'd even called me, it was on her wrist; "Can I wear it now?"  In fairness, she did present me with my Christmas present when I walked in the door back in October - though she has doubled up and there's a Christmas present beautifully wrapped (by Amazon) under my tree from her.  I did not double up, so here's my toast instead:

Happy Birthday Mom!
You have taught me (nearly) everything I know and I am so proud to call you my mother.  You are so smart. funny, thoughtful and caring and have busted your arse for us all these years and I love you for every hardworking moment. 
Short and sweet, eh?  Mom stop crying.  

2 comments:

  1. How did you know...I can hardly see the keyboard through the tears. Thank you honey. The hard-work was definitely worth it. I love you.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis