Thursday 13 October 2011

Gobble gobble!

I hope my Canadian peeps had a great Thanksgiving!  It's one of my favorite holidays.  I love the chance to get everyone together but I especially love the food!  Since moving to England I have always made a big Thanksgiving meal.  And this year was no different.  Apart from one thing - we actually had a turkey!!!  The last few years we have had chicken and once we also had a ham because I could not get my hands on a whole turkey this far from Christmas.  This year I found a whole freezer full at Aldi.  Very exciting for me-doesn't take much! So along with turkey we had mashed potato, mashed sweet potato, homemade stuffing, cabbage and bacon, and green beans with toasted almonds.  For starters we had parsnip soup and beetroot and goat's cheese tarts and dessert was a delicious pecan pie with maple whipped cream.  I couldn't get my hands on a tin of pumpkin pie filling this year but word on the street is Whole Foods or Sainsbury's might have them so I will check that out!

The weekend before turkey day I made a roast dinner - as you do on Sunday in England.  This one had a twist.  I have always wanted to try the American Thanksgiving sweet potato side dish (or is it a dessert?!!)  and had the fixings in the cupboard - sweet potatoes and a whole bag of "American" marshmallows (it said so on the bag).  I thought it was going to be pretty bad - disgusting even - but it was heavenly!  W didn't agree but he doesn't have a sweet tooth.  He also was a bit confused with the whole marshmallow topping thing and thought it was dessert.  The slight sweetness of the mash and the gooey marshmallow with a crispy top is a fantastic combo! 


Sweet Potato Casserole

6 sweet potatoes, boiled, peeled and mashed with the following:
1 tsp each of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg
juice from an orange
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup butter

Spread the mash in an oven proof casserole dish.  Use large or mini white marshmallows and spread evenly across the mash.  Bake in a preheated (180°C/350°F) for about 15-20 minutes.  Keep an eye on the marshmallow layer so it doesn't burn.

I didn't make this for Thanksgiving dinner only because I spent all last week eating it for dinner.  I was all marshmallowed out by then!  I would certainly try it again though - but maybe with more people around to help me eat it - if I could convince them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis